Sunday, August 8, 2010

Joy!

Now here's an emotion we can all get behind but somehow we tend to miss it because we're so busy living for others. Whether it be a job, a spouse, a demanding child or needy friend, we tend to put others' needs before our own.

What brings me joy? Big, wonderful events like unexpected snow days, medium-size events like the weekly episodes of Survivor (when it's on), to small events like phone calls from friends, a funny joke, a good book to read, or a smile from a stranger.

Joy used to equal food, or so I thought. Now I know food is separate from joy. Food is fuel that keeps me moving, but it's also been food that has been part of the problem in my life. It's kept me from experiencing more joy in my life and I'm not willing to accept that any more.

Bingeing or compulsive overeating does not bring one joy. As a matter of fact, in those cases you're not even enjoying the food because you're inhaling it so quickly while trying to suffocate the Inner Voice for a moment with carbohydrates and sweets. You're trying to close down those thoughts that you're not enough by filling yourself up. It makes no sense but it's a pattern I was caught in.

Now I'm making changes in my life to make more room for joy and less room for that terrible Inner Voice.

No comments: