Thursday, July 8, 2010

Learning to fight the big D

I got a call yesterday from the doctor's office that my sugar had been high again and they wanted me to come in today to discuss the lab results. I had a 9 a.m. appointment and heard the news that I had been expecting; indeed, I am a diabetic. My glucose tested at 300 the first time (non-fasting) and 299 after fasting and my AIc level was 10.8. At that point there was no doubt that this was prediabetes or just a mistaken, freak reading. I am a diabetic.

I am now arming myself with knowledge. I did it when I geared up to fight MS; I have to do the same to beat down another disease. At the bookstore I picked up Diabetes for Dummies and Geneen Roth's Women Food and God. It's no secret to anyone who knows me in real life, that I have issues with food. I'm not going to "sugarcoat" my weight and say that I am a little chunky; I am plain old obese and it's time to start taking my power back.

I mentioned Geneen Roth's book because I think that woman is a genius. She's someone who has battled food and weight demons like I have. She's been obese and she's been underweight. She now has a healthy relationship with food and I am interested to see how the God angle gets worked in there. I have some God issues that I need to clear up for myself, as well.

I made some small strides today. No caramel frappe for one, I know it's not good for me even if I have still been losing weight while I have been making unhealthy choices. I had more water instead. That is one good thing I have working in my favor; I drink a lot of water and this heat wave has made me drink even more.

Once this ridiculous heat wave breaks then I can feel comfortable enough to get more exercise in. Let's face it, I have almost two more months off before school starts and I can do some serious damage in this fight against diabetes through exercise, better and more conscious eating, and the use of my Glucophage (the diabetes fighting drug my M.D. has prescribed). No insulin, just pills for now.

I'm off to wage war against diabetes and I will get this under control. I have faith in me.

5 comments:

Webster said...

I have faith in you too, Weebs. Diabetes is no joke. You've done well with the MS, and with the exercise (with the Wii Fit)- you can do well with this, too.

Cathy said...

You can do it. I was so impressed your comittment to the Wii. It is a great exercise program and it doesn't feel like you are exercising.

Weeble Girl said...

Thanks friends. I can do this and will do this. Thanks for your positive comments.

Weebs

Autumn said...

Weeble, I understand how it feels to have that diagnosis. It's hard. But, in the end, hopefully it will make you healthier than you were a couple of days before the diagnosis, for the rest of your life.
(AutumnElaine from Weight Watchers)

Weeble Girl said...

AutumnElaine,

I know it will be worth it health-wise when I see the poundage coming off. If I can deal with MS, I can deal with this pesky diabetes.

I just need to get the hang of it and do what the nurse educator tells me. All the pieces are falling into place.

Weebs