Friday, March 13, 2009

Saturday: Author Crush Day

No, I will not be crushing an author tomorrow. I will get to be in the same room as one of my two author "crushes". I typed about them in a meme not too long ago but I'll mention them again today. The two lucky ladies are Frances Mayes of "Under the Tuscan Sun" fame and my Saturday crush, Laurie Halse Anderson.

Now LHA may not be a household author name among adults but she is huge in the young adult world. I'm not just saying that either. She's a real author with a capital A at the beginning. She is coming out with another new novel on the 18th but she will be at a tea (yes, I am going to a tea!) on Saturday in my little hometown.

LHA happens to live in my little hometown. She's from the local area but she now lives down the road from my bio-dad. She names her town of residence in her books but I don't expect most people would go looking for her. There just isn't much there in my hometown, no hotel or motel, and just a few traffic lights but they are getting a Dunkin Donuts! BJM's brother has also opened a little restaurant out of the hopefully-soon also opening bowling lanes.

So LHA has been a hero of mine for about two years or so. I got to talk with her on the telephone once because she knows my dad and she said I could call. She was so gracious and let me ask all the questions she had already answered on her website. I was so enamored and excited to be talking to a real live AUTHOR that I almost wet myself.

We're also "friends" on Facebook and I read her blog regularly.

My family might be going with me and I need to break out a pair of PIPs. Thankfully, LHA is wearing jeans so mine won't be conspicuous.

It's a deal, too, at only eight dollars for a family ticket. It's a benefit for the local library. The local Historical Society is also dressing up in 1770s type clothing. That goes along with the theme of the tea which is about LHA's latest book of historical fiction. That book is called "Chains" and is about a female black slave owned by British Loyalists. She tries to help the Americans and is punished for that by her owner but she escapes by the end of the novel. That's where the first part of the trilogy ends.

I'm really looking forward to listening to her talk. I'll let you know how it goes.

(By the way, here is a shout out for my girl GP whose feet are almost mended.)

No comments: