Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A little "up"date

Yesterday (Monday) we received a call saying that they had to take my dad into the operating room again. They removed the balloon pump and then did a bronchoscopy to suck out the extra fluid in his lungs.

We were under the impression that the pump was to stay in longer, so my sister and I took this operation as a not so good sign. However, the surgeon came in later and shook my hand twice (upon entering and leaving, a good sign of someone who is capable and courteous) and said he was doing okay.

We saw him and spent a few hours talking to him while he was heavily sedated. He did not open his eyes and I speculated on what he might actually retain as the three of us (mother and two daughters, one newly home from Iraq) were discussing.

We went to Applebee's after the hospital for dinner to assuage my sister's enjoyment and hunger at being around all sorts of food after 15 months of food at the DFAC (Dining Facility). She had a pomegranate martini, shrimp, steak, some mashed potatoes and some veggies. Then we were on our way home, to my mom's home which was where my car was parked.

I actually had PIP (pants on in public) which was very painful because I am still way too big for my pants. I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home and purchased two more pair of sweat pants. Talk about comfy; I wish I had done this before.

I also made it to the post office yesterday to mail in my official request for my sick leave. This would take me out through April and then I would have to teach for the months of May and June.

Today I brought my car in for an oil change and an inspection, which it failed on a couple of things. Don't ask me what they are because I don't remember. All I know is that what I thought would be a one hour visit is turning into a five hour visit. I guess hitting the dog (bless his soul) and being hit by the truck hauler thingie didn't do my car any good.

Graciously, they offered to drop me off at my apartment so I could sleep and then they would come back and pick me up. They dropped me off and I remembered

I didn't have my KEYS! Doh!!!!!

So that meant I had to trudge through the snow and climb in through a window to get into my apartment. Which means I hurt myself in the process, something deep down in my back and right buttock are not happy campers. But I made it in, resourceful and overweight girl that I am. The good thing is that I was not PIP because I never would have made it in those pants!

My brother is home from Iraq as of this morning and at the hospital as I type. I haven't seen him yet nor have my mother or sister as he rented a car.

That's my little "up"date with some more positive things to report. Thanks for your comments and kind thoughts. I do read and appreciate them, even though I have neglected to tell you all that lately.

Hugs to you, Weebs


Denver Refashionista said...

Well, under the circumstances it sounds like things are going ok. Enjoy the family!

Webster said...

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you were able to get back inside your house. I would have been stuck in the same circumstance! And I don't mean in the window (lol).