Saturday, January 8, 2011

Two months out

My Dad died two months ago today. I did go to church with my Mom tonight and I thought about him a lot. I miss him quite a bit, especially now that there is this canyon between my mom and me. He was the fabric softener in the life of our family. He kept us from sticking together and rubbing each other the wrong way.

I am trying to start to care for my diabetes better again. I actually took my blood sugar this morning. It was high at 170. I suspect it will be high again tonight after eating a Rueben and french fries with gravy. It's the first time I've checked my sugar in about three weeks.

I went to church with my mom only after she called last week asking me if I would start to go up with her again. She wanted me to start up again and then go out to dinner with her afterwards. I told her I would let her know today and I didn't make my official decision until almost 1:30 this afternoon. I think part of why I am going is for me and not just because she wants me to go. I feel better after sitting in church, saying prayers, and being in the presence of the Lord.

This week I also saw my therapist and he said some things that were proverbially hitting the nail on the head. That man is underpaid but he is worth his skinny little weight in gold. He's tall and rather thin and then there's me all short and wide, akin to Jack Sprat and his wife from the nursery rhyme.

I also did some Just Dancing this week to get myself ready for a dancing showdown in early February. I plan to do some solid a$$ kicking in that regard. I have some friends who plan to get together so we can dance with the Wii and I've been told to bring it, not sing it, so I am dancing my pants off to show them what I can do.

You just keep walking, one foot in front of the other. I wondered how I would get to today but that's how you do it. You just keep walking and breathing.

I hope you're proud of me, Daddy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure your Dad is proud of you...and know that many of us are!